Johann E. Ballhorn
John E. (Johann) Ballhorn was born January 9, 1843, in Angermude, Germany, to Michael and Caroline (Woelle) Ballhorn. In May of 1856, he, his parents, and his three sisters departed from Hamburg, Germany, to Quebec City, Canada, on the Phonix, eventually moving to Sheboygan County. In 1862, at age 19, he volunteered, joining Co. H, 26th Wisconsin Volunteers. He mustered out June 30, 1865, with the rank of Corporal. He returned to Glenbulah and married Louisa Suckow of Cascade on May 30, 1867. They had two sons, John F. and Henry, and five daughters, Sophie, Helena, Minnie, Lydia, and Louise. Also, an infant, Agnes C., was lost soon after birth. They lived in Glenbulah for 14 years where John conducted a furniture business. Legend has it that they moved to Sheboygan where lumber was being brought in by lake boat. They opened their store at 8th Street and St. Clair Avenue. The property was purchased from the German Bank and was 25 feet of frontage on 8th Street. The deed dated August 24, 1885, indicates the purchase price of $1550. John died on February 14, 1899, after a one-week illness of pneumonia.